Well...we won game 1...
[Insert applause, hugging, drinking, dancing, celebrating]
I could not be happier with the result. There are some negatives to look at, but I am ecstatic
If there was 1 thing to take away from this game, it is that the Giants beat a pitcher who has never lost a game in his entire postseason history. Lee has been amazing in the playoffs, but tonight, our hitters were ready for his stuff and hit his mistakes. I believe the key factor in our success was looking to drive the ball up the middle and not looking for the home run. If you look at possibly our worst hitter (Burrell, who I suggested could have a huge game) he was swinging for the fences and didnt change his approach. Huff, Sanchez, Uribe and others were able to change their swing to connect with Lee's nasty stuff on 2 strikes. The big inning was a combination of not swinging at slop and not looking to drive the ball out of the park. Lee got wild, we swung at the right pitches and didn't try and do too much
I thought Burrell would be a big part of the win and I was terribly wrong...but Uribe did hit a 3 run shot! (I called him against Lee, I know). We made Lee bring the ball over the plate and when he did, we shortened up our swings after the 2nd inning and drove the ball for base hits. Our hitters made adjustments and Timmy made enough fixes to get us through the game with a win. A key for success. Timmy didn't have his nasty changeup today or even a slider or curveball that broke off the plate. He was throwing his fastball up and over the plate, was missing with his secondary stuff and we still won. He did enough to win today, but will need to adjust to win in game 4. His fastball was not hitting the spot low and away, so he wasn't as hard to hit. The changeup / split was either in the dirt or dropping into the strike zone, a bad combo. Either way, he did enough to get through almost 6 and we got the win, much to my surprise.
So, my predicton for tomorrow:
Wilson is a fastball heavy pitcher, who likes to throw offspeed stuff to Righties, which doesn't bother me. Uribe, Burrell and Posey all like breaking pitches, and I expect us to hit him well. Cain is dominant against Righties and Texas has many of them around their lineup, so I think he will do pretty well. I think Cain goes at least 7 against a team that tries to take a lot of pitches and I think Posey takes a big slider deep and gets a couple base hits. Giants take it tomorrow 5-1 after a dominant performance from Cain and a big game from Posey.
Either way, a huge tonight and more stuff to come tomorrow. Love my Giants and love my life...
No comments:
Post a Comment