I have been watching the Giants as a die hard for around 10 years now, going to my first game in the early 1990's. After 2002, I thought that we were cursed and that I might never see a WS here in San Francisco. Little did I know 8 years later, with a bunch of unwanted mercenary bats, we would be standing as the WS champion.
First off, I want to congratulate Timmy for his stunning performance. With the exception of the 1 ab against Cruz, Timmy was absolutely off the charts. He was throwing every one of his pitches for strikes and the changeup was as good as I have seen. He established the fastball early for strike 1 and then kept the Rangers guessing by throwing a lot of inside fastballs, low change ups and nasty sliders off the plate. He went up against a great hitting team with their best pitcher on the mound, didn't get a run for 6 innings and still kept the Rangers blanked until the 7th. Timmy was huge to end the year and in the playoffs, he deserves a WS ring.
I have dissed Renteria for 2 years, at least weekly. Until the last couple weeks, it was deserved. However, for the WS, he deserves every second of praise, because he was HUGE for us. His WS stat line is amazing and he was so key to victories in game 2 and 5. He played good defense at SS (even though his range is limited), especially when turning 2 (which we did quite a bit) and used his veteran experience to get it done. Amazing, is that he has a completely torn elbow ligament, which was causing him a lot of issues when partially torn and actually was better once he completely tore it. I will eat my crow, Renteria was essential to our WS and I will always remember him for that. I hope he bows out on top and all I will remember is watching him hit that 3 run homer in front of city hall, with 10,000 other giants fans.
Also, Bochy deserves credit for out achievement and I will stop questioning his decisions...for awhile. I still think Brian Sabean is getting far too much credit, but I do think Bochy deserves a lot of this WS. He made great decisions with the pitching staff and his lineups did just enough to win it all for us. He built a real team, that played like a real team and cared about eachother. It resulted in the 1st WS in SF and for that, I will respect Bruce Bochy for the rest of my life. No matter what he does in the next couple years, I will remember him for his amazing decisions in this WS and the success it brought.
I still can't believe we just won, so I don't even know what to say. I will post more tomorrow when it really settles in...
I LOVE MY SF GIANTS, I LOVE MY CITY AND I LOVE LIFE!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment